Thank you for volunteering to be a room parent at Farragut Primary School!
Being a room parent is a great way to be involved in your child's school experience and get to know teachers and students in their classroom. The time and effort you put into this leadership position will make a lasting impact in the lives of students and staff.
This page contains a list of responsibilities and helpful tips! Be sure to discuss expectations with your teacher, because every teachers has different needs!
2023-2024 FPS Room Parent Suggestions
- Lead Room Parent and Helpers - please take a picture of the form with all the room parents’ contact info. It’s always easier when you have a team. Lots of hands make light work!
- Collect a class roster from your teacher. This will help you communicate to classroom parents through email.
- Assist teacher with 2 classroom parties. Per teacher preference, this includes coordinating parent volunteers, providing activities or crafts and requesting items needed for the party. Please discuss with your teacher any allergy accommodations that are needed. Some classrooms will have additional themed activities throughout the year, so be sure to discuss with your teacher.
- Plan to celebrate Thank-a-Teacher Week will be November 20th and 21st and Teacher Appreciation Week May 13th-17th. Please communicate with classroom parents about how to take care of your teacher and support staff person these weeks. PTO will send out the theme for each day. Favorite Things lists are here.
- Choose a Support Staff Person. Each class should choose a staff person to support during the year, a sign up genius will be sent out later in the year. Please help care for these staff members during thank-a-teacher week (Nov 20th and 21st) and Support Staff Appreciation Day during Teacher Appreciation Week (usually the Wednesday of TAW).
- Share Teacher’s and Support Staff’s Favorite Things with the classroom parents. Lists can be found here: www.fpspto.org/favoritethings
- Door Decorations/Hall Transformations/Room Transformations. Some teachers appreciate their door being decorated. Some teachers also will ask you to help with room/hall decorations that go along with the unit they are studying. Please check with your teacher about these things.
- Coordinate Birthday and Holiday gifts. If teachers have birthdays in the summer, consider celebrating their half birthday. Use the teacher’s favorite things sheet to make them feel appreciated and special. Share the Favorite Things sheet with all parents/guardians in the classroom.
- Teacher Appreciation Lunches. We will share the hospitality chair’s Sign-Up Genius with the Room Parents. Please forward to your class parents. Feel free to send food or volunteer to serve our staff. Great way to help if you can’t come to school.
- 50th, 100th and 101st day of school. Speak with your teacher about his/her expectations for these days.
- All Pro Dads. Update parents about meetings.
- Encourage Spirit Night Attendance. Send out email reminders to classroom parents about Spirit Night. FPS Spirit Nights are supported by local restaurants, and this helps raise money for FPS. A percentage of your purchase on a certain date will be donated back to the school.
- Coupon Book Sales. Encourage selling of coupon books.
- Snacks. Inform classroom parents when snacks are running low and find volunteers to replenish.
- Coordinate volunteers if needed in the classroom.
- Share Amazon Teacher List. Regularly send a link for teacher list out to classroom parents as it is updated. If the teacher does not have a wishlist, please discuss creating one with your teacher.
- Mystery Guest Readers. Ask your teacher if this is an option for your class. If so, it may be helpful to make a sign-up genius to coordinate this.
- Friday Lunches. May be fun to create a sign-up genius for classroom parents to bring Friday lunches to your teacher. This is totally optional!
- Fall Festival Silent Auction. Each classroom will be responsible for a gift basket and an art project. This year’s fall festival is scheduled for October 21st. Additional info will be provided by the Fall Festival Chair.
Please expect a monthly email highlighting upcoming events and important dates at our school!
We are so thankful you have offered your time and talents to better our school experience. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email at firstname.lastname@example.org.